Preparation time: 20mins Cooking time: 30mins Serves 4-6
- 2-3 single chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- any fresh herbs you have at home (e.g. parsely, rosemary, thyme, oregano), bundled and tied with string
- 1/4 cup Almond Butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or poaching liquid)
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2.5cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1-2 teaspoons Sambal Oelek (or to taste)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or rice bran oil
- Any veges you have in the fridge, for example:
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into batons
- 3 or 4 pieces of celery, halved and sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 capsicum, seeds removed and sliced into batons
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch of bok choy, quartered
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 head of broccoli
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 corn cob, slice off the corn kernels
- 1 can water chestnuts, sliced (optional)
Cook 1 cup of rice as per package directions. Toast some almonds and sprinkle over the top.
- Place chicken in a single layer in a medium pot and add pepper corns, salt, bay leaves and fresh herbs
- Fill the pot with cold water until the chicken is covered
- Put a lid on the pot and place the pot on the stove on a high heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer the chicken for 5 minutes
- Turn off heat and leave the chicken to cool in the water while you are preparing the sauce and vegetables
- Slice chicken into bite-sized portions ready to add to the stir fry
- In a small pot, loosen the almond butter over low heat then add the stock, hoisin, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sambal oelek and lime juice.
- Season with black pepper, bring to a simmer and let the sauce thicken.
Bringing it all together:
- Heat the oil over high heat in a wok or large saute pan.
- Add the vegetables and stir fry until tender but still crisp (approximately 4-5mins). Add the water chestnuts if using.
- Add the sauce and toss to combine.
- Add the chicken and toss to combine.
Serve with rice.