- 560g chicken thigh fillets, skin off
- salt and pepper
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 leek, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1cm strips
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 50g plain flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (you can add a bit more if you think the mixture is a bit dry)
- 50ml thickened cream
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbspn milk to glaze pastry
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 200C. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Place on large baking tray and roast for 15 minutes. Turn and roast for a further 15 minutes until cooked and golden brown. Set aside to cool slightly and reduce oven temp to 180C. Reserve the pan juices. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken into large chunks and place in a bowl.
- Heat butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and leek and cook for 5 minutes or until tender, but not browned. Stir in mustard, then flour and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in chicken stock, cream and pan juices. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in shredded chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble the pie, spoon the chicken mixture into a greased baking dish. Drape puff pastry over the baking dish and press firmly around the rim to seal. Cut slits into the top, brush with egg and milk wash and garnish with sesame seeds. Bake in oven for 50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Set aside to cool slightly before serving.
- You can serve with mashed potato or roast vegies.