Preparation 10 mins Cooking time 8-15 mins
1 cup tri-colour quinoa
2 cups water
1 lime, zest and juice
12 fresh mint leaves
1 avocado, diced
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt & Pepper to taste
Serve with: poached chicken, thinly sliced beef strips or just enjoy as a salad on its own.
- Put the quinoa in a mesh sieve and rinse with water twice. Hint: if your sieve mesh isn’t fine enough you can place a cloth or mesh food cover in the sieve before you pour the quinoa in to stop the grains falling through.
- Pour quinoa into your rice cooker with 2 cups of water (or according to the rice cooker instructions for rice) and start the rice cooker. OR you can cook the quinoa as per the instructions on the packet but it will take at least 25 minutes to cook that way.
- While the quinoa is cooking you can prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- As soon as the quinoa is cooked remove it from the heat and stir through the lime zest, lime juice and mint leaves.
- Let it stand for 5mins to cool before adding the avocado and cherry tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
You could serve this salad on its own or as a side dish for chicken, beef, pork etc.