Serves 4-6. Slow cooker: takes 4hrs on high heat or 6-8 hrs on low heat.
- 1-2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1-2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300g pumpkin
- Also, roughly chop and then add any of the following you have in the fridge: parsnip, turnip, cauliflower, potato, broccoli, celery (including leaves), etc etc…
- 2 tabs Soup Mix, rinsed
- 1 litre Stock – Vegetable (if using chicken or no meat) or Beef (if using beef)
- salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tbs curry powder
- Cut up vegies, including onions, and brown in batches in a frying pan over medium heat for about 10mins.
- Put all vegetables in slow cooker.
- Add grains/soup mix.
- Add water/stock.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add curry powder (optional).
- Cook for 6-8hrs on low heat (or 4hrs on high heat).
- Mash cooked vegies (I use a stick blender to get a really smooth consistency).
- Return to slow cooker and set on warm until ready to serve.
You can also add 500g of meat (shin beef or blade steak; or chuck steak; or chicken thighs; or chicken pieces – brown the pieces then add to the slow cooker with the vegies ). Meat should be very tender.