Serves 6 (any leftovers make a great pie filling for the next night). Slow Cooker: High 4-5hrs or Low 8-9hrs
- 200g thick cut speck or bacon, chopped
- 3 tbs flour
- 1.5kg gravy beef, beef chuck or shin beef cut into chunks
- 250g mushrooms, halved if large
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion chopped or 8 eschallots halved (these are also called golden shallots or pickling onions)
- 1 leek, sliced (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1 cup beef stock (can use 1 stock cube mixed with 1 cup of water)
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs rosemary, finely chopped
- In a resealable bag (or in a large bowl- but it can get messy) combine flour with a little salt and pepper. Add the beef chunks and shake (or toss in bowl) to coat evenly with flour mixture.
- In a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, cook the speck/bacon until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add 1/3 the coated beef chunks to the pan and cook until browned, about 5 mins on each side. Transfer the beef to the slow cooker (have the cooker on low heat at this stage). Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, onion/eschallots, garlic and leek to the pan and cook off for 5mins. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add the speck/bacon to the slow cooker.
- Add the wine, stock, tomato paste and rosemary to the frying pan. Mix well and bring to the boil. Deglaze the pan and stir to scrape up the browned bits on the pan bottom. Once it boils pour the contents into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 4-5hrs or low heat for 8-9hrs. The beef should be very tender when you do your taste test.
- To thicken the gravy/sauce, cook uncovered for 30mins-45mins.
Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, cous cous….